A Broken Record Plays on; Less Enforcement Coming in 2013

Published on March 2nd, 2012

President Obama’s relentless refusal to enforce federal immigration law and his failure to take even modest steps to reduce illegal immigration continue unabated.

Last summer, in an unprecedented measure, the White House advised the Department of Homeland Security to give administrative amnesty to thousands of what it deems to be low priority aliens.

Today, eight months later, an analysis of the proposed 2013 budget reflects the same lack of concern for removing illegal immigrants. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith noted that the new budget reduces the number of detention beds from 34,000 to 32,8000. According to ICE, the money saved by not funding the remaining 1,200 beds will used in “alternatives-to-detention” programs. Those “alternatives” will result in  more aliens  disappearing into the American mainstream.

Smith pointed out that Department of Justice records show  that since 1996, 40 percent of non-detained aliens in deportation proceedings become fugitives. When released and given orders to reappear at a future date, the aliens vanish. [Obama Budgets Backdoor Amnesty, by Lamar Smith, Washington Times, February 24, 2012]

The 2013 budget also undermines security both at the border and nationally. In 2011, the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office found that just 44 percent of the Southwestern border is under the Border Patrol’s operational control. The remaining 56 percent is open to human smugglers, drug cartels and aliens eager to cross.

Instead of securing the U.S.-Mexico border, President Obama plans to introduce a “border security index” to measure enforcement progress along the Southwestern United States. This is more White House hocus pocus similar to “alternatives-to-detention.” The best way to maximize the “border security index” is to authorize more agents—something the administration is adverse to.

Three other effective enforcement programs already in place will receive modest, if any, funding. They are: 287 (g) that provides ICE training to local police officers to assist in identifying aliens and reporting  them to DHS, the Real ID Act that prohibits aliens from securing valid identification and the Visa Security Program which provides additional screening at U.S. embassies and consulates in “high risk” countries. All three work to identify illegal aliens, eliminate threats to the community and reduce the chances of terrorism.

Unfortunately, none of these proven programs will be expanded since the administration doesn’t consider them important enough to merit additional funding.

You are donating to :

How much would you like to donate?
$10 $20 $30
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Additional Note