How to support CAPS, depending on your unique life stage.
Under Age 40
You’re busy with career responsibilities and, perhaps, a family at home. You’re focused on the present, but are also concerned about the futures of your loved ones. Provide for CAPS in your first estate plan.
- Include a gift to CAPS when you draft your will
- Designate a percentage of your retirement plan to benefit CAPS after your lifetime
- Designate a percentage of your life insurance policy to support CAPS after your lifetime
With growing children, aging parents and a busy schedule, planning can be a challenge. Protect your family and support CAPS at the same time.
- In addition to the suggestions above, consider donating appreciated (or depreciated) stocks that you have owned for one year or more to CAPS
- If your will is already drafted, include a gift to CAPS by using a codicil, which allows you to change your will without redrafting it
Retirement may be around the corner—or here now. Take steps now to make sure you can enjoy the extra time you’ll have to travel and spend time with your children and grandchildren, while supporting CAPS.
- In addition to the suggestions above, consider donating your home or another piece of real estate to CAPS (receive a tax deduction and live in it for as long as you wish rent-free)
- Arrange a charitable remainder trust to benefit CAPS
- Set up a charitable lead trust that supports CAPS and helps preserve your loved ones’ inheritance
Now is the time to be diligent about updating estate plans that put your family first and also provide for CAPS. Estate planning can help you to preserve your estate for your loved ones and avoid unnecessary – and often exorbitant – taxes.
- In addition to the suggestions above, consider making a gift to CAPS and receive fixed payments for life (also called a charitable gift annuity – rates are often better than bank CDs!)
If you have already included CAPS in your estate plans, thank you and please let us know so we may welcome you into CAPS’ Legacy Society. If you would like to learn more about making an estate gift to CAPS, please contact 805-564-6626 or [email protected].
Note: Tax deductions are based on the asset’s fair market value. Non-cash bequests may require an appraisal.
TAX ID: 94-258-1509
A website cannot tell you everything you need to know about estate planning and which methods would be best for you and your family. This information is not intended to constitute legal or financial advice. Your estate plans are important legal documents that should express your wishes and should be prepared by your attorney. Please consult your attorney and financial advisors.